High read Latency test (Anticipatory I/O scheduler)

From: John Chatelle
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 15:35:06 EST

I haven't seen much duplicated results regarding the Robert Love article
in the February 2004 Linux Journal article, also reachable in the hyperlink:

Although the 1st simple test: "Write starved reads" gets results comparable
to the results reported in the Article, Our results for the 2nd test: "High
Read latency" delivers results opposite our expectations...

Kernel 2.6.2 Results: (Anticipatory I/O scheduler).

real 43m41.138s Nearly 44 minutes! 2nd run similar.
user 0m4.715s
sys 0m11.179s

Kernel 2.4.20-28.7p21gsmp Results:

real 0m41.535s Only 42 seconds! 2nd run similar.
user 0m4.720s
sys 0m15.470s

Our dmesg shows wer're running the Anticipatory scheduler when testing under
the 2.6.2 kernel.

The 2 shell scripts, StreamingRead.sh and WHR.sh (bash, actually), implement
the test:

#StreamingRead.sh --simple 4 line shell script:
while true
do
cat ../data/oneGBfile >/dev/null
done

#WHR.sh -- simple 2 (or 3) line shell script.
StreamingRead.sh &
time find /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-18.7 -type f -exec cat \
'{}' ';' > /dev/null

I'm reading a 1G binary garbage file repeatedly while timing
the transversal and reading of the 2.4 Kernel source tree, just as the test
2 example shows in the article. I would think I/O anticipating the 1G
garbage file would be likely, where the I/O anticipation of the reading of
the source tree under the 'find' command would be far choppier and more
difficult.The 'time' command, however measures the less anticipatory and
choppier reads of the 'find' command! I therefore see the results of table
1 for test 2 to be very counter intuitive!

Has anyone else seen such divergent results compared to those reported in
the article? Does anyone else see the same results with the anticipatory
I/O scheduler?

John Chatelle
johnch@xxxxxxxxxx
Community Computer Service
15 Hulbert Street - P.O. Box 980
Auburn, New York 13021
Phone: (315)-255-1751
Fax: (315)-255-3539

--
This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected
by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use

dangerous content by MailScanner.