Re: 2 PROBLEMs: mkinitrd fails during make install (2.6.1) + firstnetwork connect fails after boot (2.6.1)

From: Matthew Caron
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 19:42:02 EST

I have resolved my 2 problems. I have included abbreviated versions below for reference.

Problem 1 was solved by workaround.
1.) Compile 3w-xxxx as a module and nothing complains (on both systems)
2.) Add a modprobe 3w-xxxx early in rc.sysinit and it gets loaded before anything important happens (boot drive is separate IDE, so this scheme works for me)
3.) On some machines (1 of 2), mkinitrd still reports the error quoted below when trying to put 3w-xxxx into the kernel. On all machines (2 of 2) using 3w-xxxx modules, the kernel does not automagically load the modules on boot. I presume it's not supposed to. Of course, the first hangup means that one cannot boot from the 3w-xxxx array. I do not have a problem with this, but it bears considering, because some folks might want to do it.

Problem 2 was my fault.
I still had FreeS/WAN starting up in my rc5.d from the 2.4.x setup that I had and that seemed to be killing network communications. Turning that off seemed to fix things.

--
Freedom to learn, freedom to share,
freedom to change, freedom to improve.