Re: explicit dcache <-> user-space cache coherency, sys_mark_dir_clean(),O_CLEAN

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 13:13:52 EST

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If we are demanding specific filesystems, we could simply say "use
> JFS in case-insensitive mode" and be done with that. Which deals
> with all problems, since fs code will guarantee uniqueness, etc.

Don't be silly. You can't use JFS in case-insensitive mode and do anything
sane.

That will terminally confuse a lot of UNIX applications, including NFS
serving. Which makes the whole thing completely useless _except_ as a
pure Windows-compatible partition.

If you are going to limit a partition to _only_ doing Samba serving, then
you have no problems _anyway_, since then samba can do all locking and all
name translation totally on its own.

In short, a case-insensitive filesystem is fundamentally uninteresting. It
buys _nothing_ that samba can't do already, since it only means that you
can't really do anything else on it.

Linus