Re: Large slab cache in 2.6.1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 21:59:54 EST

Mike Fedyk wrote:

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

Similar issue here; I ran out of filp's/whatever shortly after booting.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:03:14PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

So Nick Piggin's VM patches won't help with this?

I think they're in -mm, and I'd call the vfs slab cache shrinking stuff
a vfs issue anyway because there's no actual VM content to it, apart
from the code in question being driven by the VM.

Hmm, that's news to me. Maybe that's a newer patch. I haven't been reading the list much for the last month or so...

Nick had a patch that was supposed to help 2.6 with low memory situations to bring it on a par with 2.4 in that respect. ISTR "active recycling" being mentioned about it...

Just an aside, it is hard to get 2.6 "on par" with 2.4 because 2.6 is
often much fairer (although it can still be badly unfair - if we ever
want to fix that we'd probably need per process mm).

There are quite a lot sorts of low memory situations you can get into.
My (and Nikita's) patches don't help the one you're probably in. They
don't put more pressure on slab.