Re: Large slab cache in 2.6.1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 23:12:38 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Chris Wedgwood wrote:

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:28:24PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

What happened to the experiment of having slab pages on the
(in)active lists and letting them be free'd that way? Didn't
somebody already do that? Ed Tomlinson and Craig Kulesa?

Just as a data point:

cw@taniwha:~/wk/linux/bk-2.5.x$ grep -E '(LowT|Slab)' /proc/meminfo
LowTotal: 898448 kB
Slab: 846260 kB

So the slab pressure I have right now is simply because there is
nowhere else it has to grow...

Can you try the following patch? It is against 2.6.3-mm2.

Actually I think the previous shrink_slab formula factors
out to the right thing anyway, so nevermind this patch :P