Re: Large slab cache in 2.6.1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 01:59:46 EST

Mike Fedyk wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

Probably not worth the bother. It is easy enough for anyone to
test random things, but the reason your feedback is so important
is because you are actually *using* the system.

I completely understand what you're saying. I have seen enough threads where someone refused to test patches. So let me be more specific.

I'll have to test the kernel on two other machines for a few days before I put it on this particular machine. Unfortunately, both of them have < 1.5GB ram.

That is quite alright. I didn't intend to sound pushy in that
message, and I fully understand if you refuse to test patches on
your production machine.

So let me know which patches are most likely to fix this problem.

PS, if I can apply them to my 2.6.1 kernel, then I wouldn't have to run the base kernel to compare changes of 2.6.1 -> 2.6.3 -> 2.6.3-mm -> your patch.

Each step would require a week-day to get a fair compairison.

The last patch I posted would be a good one to test if you possibly
can. You should hear someone shout within a few days if it does
anything nasty, so the 2.6.3-mm+patch path is probably safer ;)

Nick