Re: make help ARCH=xx fun

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 03:51:43 EST

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:26:41AM -0500, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
> I was looking at the arch-specific make options for various archs,
> and found this bit of fun:
>
> :; make help ARCH=sh
> [elided]
> Architecture specific targets (sh):
> zImage - Compressed kernel image (arch/sh/boot/zImage)
> SCCS - Build for arch/sh/configs/SCCS
> defconfig-adx - Build for adx
> defconfig-cqreek - Build for cqreek
> defconfig-dreamcast - Build for dreamcast
> defconfig-hp680 - Build for hp680
> defconfig-se7751 - Build for se7751
> defconfig-snapgear - Build for snapgear
> defconfig-systemh - Build for systemh
> [elided]
>
> The defconfig options only show up after a bk get in arch/sh/configs/.
The sh people have decided to create the list based on the content of the directory.
Therefore you see the SCCS entry, and that's why you need to do a 'bk bet'.
In general you cannot expect the konfig and build system to work 100% if there is
random files missing in the tree. Those files bk can checkout automatically is
more by luck - and no effort has been put into making this a trustworthy way
to do it.

I expect sh to change their defconfig system to the same infrastructure as used
by ppc, arm and others.

> There are also several archs that do not have any arch-specific
> help. ppc64 (unlike ppc) is one such example.
Patches are welcome.

Sam