Re: only ieee1394 from 2.4.20 works for me

From: Ben Collins
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 11:17:39 EST

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:33:39PM +0100, Kai Engert wrote:
> In the last year I have been playing with a variety of combinations of
> ieee1394 controllers, machines, external mass storage devices and linux
> kernel versions. So have some friends of mine.
>
> The only version that works for us is the ieee1394 code that was
> included with kernel version 2.4.20.
>
> (I removed drivers/ieee1394 completely, and replaced it with
> drivers/ieee1394 from 2.4.20)
>
> Using that snapshot, we are able to transfer data to disks and video
> from a camcorder just fine, in all combinations we have tested.
>
> Every other kernel version, both older or newer than 2.4.20, is broken.
> We either see random errors, or writing data to disks stalls
> immediately, or daisy chained devices don't work.
>
> I'm currently using the official Fedora core 1 series kernels, patched
> that way, and it works like a charm.
>
> Please consider to use the 2.4.20 ieee1394 snapshot in future 2.4.x
> releases.

It's pretty strange that I haven't heard of such problems. Maybe you
would consider trying to debug the problem rather than reverting to
source that is several years old (and that I know is broken).

Latest 2.4.x code (that which is in our SVN repo) works fine for me.

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/