Re: network / performance problems

From: Ron Peterson
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 16:26:31 EST

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Ron Peterson wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > There are a few things you should try - you probably already have:
> > >
> > > - Stop all applications, restart them
> > >
> > > - Unload net driver module, reload and reconfigure it.
> > >
> > > If either of those (or similar operations) are found to bring the latency
> > > back to normal then that would be a big hint. ie: we need to find
> > > something which brings the performance back apart from a complete reboot.
>
> This machine is starting to head south again. I've updated user.log (a
> bunch of stats I'm syslogging) at
> http://depot.mtholyoke.edu:8080/tmp/. I've also added
> http://depot.mtholyoke.edu:8080/tmp/mist/10/, which contains the latest
> smokeping graphs.
>
> In about an hour or two, I'll likely have to head in to get this thing
> back on its feet. I will try the suggestions above, to see if that will
> do the trick. Is there anything else I should try to do or look at? Once
> I reboot (if that's what I have to do), I expect it will be a couple of
> days before this happens again.

I couldn't get it back. I stopped apache, mimedefang, sendmail,
imapproxyd, and ifdown'd the interfaces. Waited a bit, put them back up,
and still had large ping times. I then ifdown'd the interface and removed
the e1000 module. I couldn't get it back again though, I think because I
had some nfs mounts I couldn't unmount.

I rebooted. I set the BIOS to not run hyperthreaded, to see if that has
any effect. Now wait...