Re: Badness in pci_find_subsys

From: Martin
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 02:33:01 EST

On Monday 23 February 2004 06:39, Robin Rosenberg wrote:

> > I was checking the pci documentation and it said under the heading
> > Obsolete function pci_find_subsys() - Superseded by pci_get_subsys() as
> > the former is not Hot plug safe. Could this be related to the problem
>
> You WHAT? Read the documentation! :-) I thought the ones calling the
> function should do that.

Reading the documentation (ie. source code) it appears the problem is
triggered by the line

WARN_ON(in_interrupt());

Looks like the driver calls pci_find_subsys() from inside an interrupt on
occasions which apparently it shouldn't. The problem seems to be on
nvidia's side, not kernel development. I have emailed nvidia about it some
time ago, so far no reaction...

I got the problem with nvidia modules 4496, 5328, 5336 and with kernels
2.6.0, 2.6.1, 2.6.2, never with 2.4.X. I have stopped using the nvidia
kernel module for now.

> I found some options to try out, but no conclusive info, at the nvidia
> linux discussion forum.

Is this www.nvnews.net you are talking about? I can't find any proper
contacts on the nvidia web site. I'll go over and add a comment right
now. ;-)

cu Martin