Conclusion of my Promise PDC20262, SIIG SIi680 IDE controller problems

From: Jonathan Kamens
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 09:01:11 EST

I wanted to let people know the final results of my efforts to resolve
problems I was having with Promise PDC20262 Ultra66 and SIIG SIi680
Ultra133 PCI IDE controllers.

Recall that I was getting frequent BadCRC errors from the PDC20262
controller with both 2.4.22-ac4 and 2.6.x. I tried many suggestions
offered here for making the errors go away, and none of them worked.
The errors were not caused by the cable.

I finally bought a new SIIG UltraATA 133 controller with the SIi680
chipset. The BadCRC errors went away with that controller, but I
ended up with a new problem -- my system regularly locked up hard
under 2.4.22-ac4. When I tried switching to 2.6.2-rc1, I got even
more frequent lock-ups, but I suspect that they were unrelated the IDE
controller.

The happy ending to all of this is that I have been running
2.4.23-pac1 for weeks with no lockups. So it would appear that there
was a bug of some sort in the IDE code that was fixed somewhere
between 2.4.22-ac4 and 2.4.23-pac1.

Perhaps this information will help someone track down similar problems
in the future.

Take care,

jik