Re: distinguish two identical network cards

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 11:37:07 EST

andreas.hartmann@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello!

Some clarification:
It is important, that the cards can be distinguished without any user driven
action - it must run automatically. The machines will be delivered to somebody
who doesn't know anything about linux / unix. I must be able to do a
configuration like that:

Physical upper card: eth0
Physical lower card: eth1

The customer will be told, e.g.: plug in the network cable from switch a to the
upper card, the cable to the switch b must be connected to the lower card.

Sorry, other than the already suggested use of nameif I don't see any other good way to do it. At some point the hardware should pass through the hands of someone who DOES know Linux enough to read the MAC address off the sticker usually found on the NIC, and set the config to match.

You better label the back of the NICs, if your customer can't identify the one with the blinking light (as previously suggested) they may have problems with UNIX terms like upper and lower ;-)

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc