Re: fbdv/fbcon pending problems

From: Stuart Young
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 00:59:31 EST

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:53 am, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> - Logo problems. When booting with a logo, then going to getty, the
> logo doesn't get erased until we actually switch to another console (or
> reset the console). At this point, using things like vi & scrolling up
> doesn't work properly. Actually, last time I tried, I had to switch
> back & forth twice before my console that had the logo got fully working
> with vi.

Been around forever and a day. RedHat getty's clear the screen, which tends to
remove the unscrollable region that the logo sits in. Debian doesn't, so it's
much more noticable (and always has been).

This might be best done thru userspace, as having the logo and other graphics
sitting at the top of the screen through the boot process (eg: sysv init
scripts, etc) within an unscrollable region can be useful. I know that the
boot-icons package in Debian actually relies on this behaviour. Perhaps you
could provide an option in the kernel config to change this default
behaviour, for those that want it?

If it's possible to unlock this region so that it scrolls again from userspace
(ie: not resetting/clearing it, just unlocking it), then it's just a simple
matter of checking wether the current console is an fb device, and if it is,
making it unlock the scrolling region. In Debian, this could be done
in /etc/init.d/rmnologin, or even in /etc/profile if someone would rather it
done after login.