Re: BOOT_CS

From: Etienne Lorrain
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 05:06:40 EST

> H. Peter Anvin writes:
> > Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > for those folks who want to place their ramdisk as low
> > in memory as possible?
> The problem is that you don't know until it's too late, since it can
> depend on dynamic factors. This is part of why your insistence of
> putting the ramdisk in the "most incorrect" position is simply wrong.

The other problem is for the people who want to check the validity
of the RAM disk before starting Linux - for instance by checking
the CRC32 of the decompressed RAM disk - and stop the boot process
before it is too late - i.e. in the bootloader when you can select
another kernel version / initrd to load.
You cannot place the decompressed initrd at a maximum address before
knowing its decompressed size - the address to place it is the max
address (or the end of free RAM) minus ramdisk size if I remember
correctly. That is working for so long loading the decompressed
initrd after few Mb after the last kernel byte (so that the kernel
will move it where it wants - no need to move it twice) that I do
not remember the details. Did you changed this part?

Etienne.

Yahoo! Mail - Votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
Créez votre adresse sur http://mail.yahoo.fr