Re: can i modify ls

From: Erik Mouw
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 06:14:04 EST

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:33:00AM +0530, Gautam Pagedar wrote:
> i am new to this mailing list, so please bear with me if i don't follow
> certain rules till i get used to it. I am a research student and currently
> working on a project to tweak the working of 'ls' command depending on my
> requirement. I have observed that 'ls' show ALL THE FILES and DIRECTORIES in
> a particular location even though a user has no access rights to it. I want
> to hide all
> such files for that particular user.

It already works like you expect it to do:

erik@zurix:/tmp/test >mkdir a b
erik@zurix:/tmp/test >touch a/c
erik@zurix:/tmp/test >ls -lR
.:
total 1
drwxr-xr-x 2 erik users 72 Feb 24 11:49 a/

./a:
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 erik users 0 Feb 24 11:49 c

erik@zurix:/tmp/test >chmod -r a
erik@zurix:/tmp/test >ls -lR
.:
total 1
d-wx--x--x 2 erik users 72 Feb 24 11:49 a/

ls: ./a: Permission denied
erik@zurix:/tmp/test >chmod -x a
erik@zurix:/tmp/test >cd a
a: Permission denied.