Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 09:41:55 EST

Timothy Miller wrote:
This is not a comment in favor of Intel... just a lament...

Things may have changed, but when I last built a Linux box (Athlon XP 2800+), I was not able to find a motherboard for recent AMD processors with 64bit/66mhz PCI slots. If I'd needed that, I would have had to go with Intel.

The Tyan K8W S-2885ANRF (a dual Opteron board) has:

One 8X AGP / AGP Pro110 slot
Two independent PCI-X buses
Two 64-bit 100/66/33 MHz (3.3-Volt)
Two 64-bit 133/100/66/33 MHz (3.3-Volt)
One legacy 32-bit 33MHz (5-Volt) PCI slot

This is the board I've ordered in my new workstation. I've heard that people have used this board quite successfully with Linux (fingers crossed).

--
Scott Robert Ladd