Re: Promise SATA driver

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 13:19:53 EST

Henrik Gustafsson wrote:
I happen to have such a card in a computer here. Right now it's not used
for anything in particular (waiting for things to stabilising a bit) so
I can test out patches without worrying about any data on it, so feel
free to suggest things to try.

Is there any active development done on it?

Well, the basic SX4 SATA driver is pretty much done. There is one bugfix I need to merge for PCI-X, but that's it.

Unfortunately, it is a bit slower than average since every request must bounce through RAM first, with no queueing.

Using the on-board DIMM as a write-through cache would boost performance significantly.

My current working conditions (and lack of specs for the card) prevents me
from doing much work on it myself atm, but is there perhaps another way of
following the development on that part a bit more closely?

I have done my (small, but still... :) ) share of driver development and
low-level coding (company I work for makes me write code for their embedded
devices and sometimes drivers for the PC-interfaces) so I might just be
able to pitch in with an idea or two.

Well, the specs are under NDA but are available from Promise.

However... if you want to tackle creating the write-through cache, that shouldn't require any specs at all. If you are knowledgeable enough to create generic write-through cache code for an ATA drive, that's sufficient :)

Jeff