Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 16:13:14 EST

John Heil wrote:

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:43:54 +0100
From: Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Timothy Miller <miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: John Heil <kerndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Thomas Zehetbauer <thomasz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Subject: Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:32:07AM -0500, Timothy Miller wrote:

Things may have changed, but when I last built a Linux box (Athlon XP
2800+), I was not able to find a motherboard for recent AMD processors
with 64bit/66mhz PCI slots. If I'd needed that, I would have had to go
with Intel.

Ehmm. We've been trying to get 64/66 slots in our systems a while, and
the only affordable option I've been able to find are the dual-athlon
boards (Tyan, Asus).

And so far, I've found Tyan to be the slightly more reliable of the two.

The problem was that the Tyan I found which did 64/66 was a dual processor board (not a problem) that had a maximum FSB of 266mhz (or maybe it was 200?). I would have been stuck with dual Athlon XP 2400+ (or worse), rather than something faster like the 2800+ I have. Well, the dual would be faster if I were running multi-threaded applications, but most of the CPU-intensive stuff I tend to tinker with is single-threaded and also memory-intensive, making the single 2800+ more attractive (I could have gotten the 3000+, but the cost increase wasn't worth the small performance increase).