Re: make help ARCH=xx fun

From: Tom Rini
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 16:57:09 EST

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:50:21AM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:26:41AM -0500, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
> > I was looking at the arch-specific make options for various archs,
> > and found this bit of fun:
> >
> > :; make help ARCH=sh
> > [elided]
> > Architecture specific targets (sh):
> > zImage - Compressed kernel image (arch/sh/boot/zImage)
> > SCCS - Build for arch/sh/configs/SCCS
> > defconfig-adx - Build for adx
> > defconfig-cqreek - Build for cqreek
> > defconfig-dreamcast - Build for dreamcast
> > defconfig-hp680 - Build for hp680
> > defconfig-se7751 - Build for se7751
> > defconfig-snapgear - Build for snapgear
> > defconfig-systemh - Build for systemh
> > [elided]
> >
> > The defconfig options only show up after a bk get in arch/sh/configs/.
> The sh people have decided to create the list based on the content of the directory.
> Therefore you see the SCCS entry, and that's why you need to do a 'bk bet'.
> In general you cannot expect the konfig and build system to work 100% if there is
> random files missing in the tree. Those files bk can checkout automatically is
> more by luck - and no effort has been put into making this a trustworthy way
> to do it.

Hmm. Would something (untested) like the following be horribly
wrong/bad?

define archhelp
@echo ' zImage - Compressed kernel image (arch/sh/boot/zImage)'
@if [ -d arch/$(ARCH)/configs/SCCS ]; then bk get -q arch/$(ARCH)/configs/;fi
# Assume board_defconfig
for board in arch/$(ARCH)/configs/*defconfig; \
do \
echo -n ' ' $$board | sed -e 's|arch/$(ARCH)/configs/||g' ; \
echo -n ' - Build for ' ; \
echo -e $$board | sed -e 's|.*_||g'; \
done
endef

I kinda like the idea of documenting the various defconfig targets, in
make help, so maybe even adding that to the normal help section iff
arch/$(ARCH)/configs exists... Thoughts?

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/