Re: kgdb: rename i386-stub.c to kgdb.c

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 06:02:05 EST

On Wednesday 25 Feb 2004 4:07 pm, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > kgdb uses really confusing names for arch-dependend parts. This fixes
> > > it. Okay to commit?
> >
> > Why is arch/$x/kernel/$x-stub.c confusing? The name $x-stub.c is
> > indicative of architecture dependent code in it. Err, well so is the
> > path.
>
> Well, looking at i386-stub.c, how do you know it is kgdb-related?

hmm... I see what you meant by "confusing". The confusing part is file name
not representing contents. Agreed.

> > PPC and sparc stubs in present vanilla kernel use this naming convention.
> > That's why I adopted it.
> >
> > I find kernel/kgdbstub.c, arch/$x/kernel/$x-stub.c more consistent
> > compared to kernel/kgdbstub.c, arch/$x/kernel/kgdb.c
>
> I actually made it kernel/kgdb.c and arch/*/kernel/kgdb.c. I believe

OOPS I didn't notice that.

> there's no point where one could be confused....

kernel/kgdb.c and arch/*kernel/kgdb.c have same file name appearing in two
places :-( mainline kernel also does it (e.g. ptrace.c)

Let's go with the convention followed in mainline kernel.
OK from me.

-Amit