Re: 2.6.3 Boot Failure on Nforce2 Board

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 11:34:02 EST

Michael Joy wrote:
Hello,
We're having an interesting problem with the latest kernel release. On
an Albatron KM18G, latest bios, 1024MB system with athlon xp proc, 2.6.3
refuses to boot. It hangs on initializing the ide devices.

[2.] Full description of the problem/report: The problem is most
definately related to the ide controller changes made in 2.6.3 as in
2.4.22 we did not have this issue. We haven't tried any of the previous
kernels as this is a production system.

When booting the 2.6.3 kernel, either compiled by Mandrake (cooker) or
using the straight up source, the kernel hangs without any error on hda:
max request size : 128KiB.

I don't have a log of this as it won't initialize the HD (wd1200jb on an
80pin cable) to log the dmesg dump. Anyways we have two identical
machines that do this. Both are nforce2 integrated gpu's, using onboard
networking and sound. They have 2x512 Kingston HyperX memory modules
which have been thouroughly tested in these machines with memtest and no
errors are found.

Of note is that these machines exhibit the random freezes (blank screen,
hard lock, normally associated with heavy disk thrashing) many other
nforce2 boards seem to be experiencing. To fix this, we boot them with
the noapic and nolapic option and the problem does not reappear.

i2c-nforce2 4392 0 (unused)

nvnet 30880 1 (autoclean)

You appear to have a binary-only module, nvnet, loaded... we cannot debug problems with closed source code in your kernel. Try "forcedeth" NIC driver instead.

Jeff