Re: Early memory patch, revised

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 13:41:28 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Thanks. :)
>
> Two little tweaks I can think of.
> 1) Can we reserve space between __bss_stop and _end for the page
> tables and the bitmap of memory?
>
> This should make it obvious that the early boot code is touching
> that memory.

The bitmap of memory, perhaps, I'll let wli speak to that one. The page
tables shouldn't need to be fixed-sized like what you're proposing;
although the current patch doesn't make use of it, I'd like to in the
future, and this would make it impossible.

> 2) Can we export _end in setup.S so a bootloader can verify the
> kernel + bss will fit in memory?

For what good? Seriously... you're just pushing further into the kernel
the point where you will run completely out of memory during
initialization -- this case dynamic.

There is absolutely no use in trying to pointf*ck this. Really.

-hpa