RE: [SUBJECT CHANGE]: megaraid unified driver version 2.20.0.0-alpha1

From: Mukker, Atul
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 15:44:01 EST

> given that they are completely different from the controller we know
> as megaraid today this is an extremly bad idea. Just put it
> into an driver
> of their own, e.g. mptraid
Although, this simplifies the development and maintenance effort, having a
single driver to drive both controllers or two independent drivers is not
always our decision. Most often, it would be Dell's preference.

> > 2. Controller and device re-ordering on both lk 2.4 and lk
> 2.6. If this
> > is not desired, the driver code would be modified to make
> it PCI ordered
> > detection. The driver also re-orders the drives, based on
> which one is
> > chosen as boot drive. Matt, please add your comments here.
>
> This is a bad thing for 2.6, don't do it. For 2.4 just leave
> the probe code as
> it is there currently - any change during the stable series
> just confuses
> users.

So it would be. We would make the controller and devices detection PCI
ordered for 2.6 and preferred ordered for lk 2.4. A patch for unified-alpha1
would be posted for this change soon.

> > 4. Native hot-plug support for both lk 2.4 and lk 2.6
>
> hotplug scsi in 2.4 is impossible without a host template per
> controller
> which you don't seem to do and I'd advice against.
>
> > 6. Single code to support *all* x86-32, IA64, and x86-64 platforms
>
> Umm, it's a PCI card - if it doesn't work on any PCI
> supporting architecture
> it's a driver bug (either in your driver or the architectures
> PCI subsysyem)
Currently, IA64 has only 1.18 series of drivers as supported ones. 2.x
driver is not tested on this platform.