Re: 2.4.25 - large inode_cache

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 08:05:54 EST

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:08:23AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > free output is this:
> > total used free shared buffers cached
> > Mem: 515980 506464 9516 0 2272 19204
> > -/+ buffers/cache: 484988 30992
> > Swap: 1951856 7992 1943864
>
> This should be normal behaviour -- the i/d caches grew because of file
> system activitity. This memory will be reclaimed in case theres pressure.

But how is "pressure" defined?

Will a heap of busy knfsd processes doing reads or writes exert
pressure? Or is it only local userspace that can pressurize the VM (by
either anonymously backed memory or file I/O).

This server happily serves large home directories over NFS, at really
poor speeds. It will happily serve tens or hundreds of gigabytes, read
and write, over the course of a day, and *still* only cache about 100MB
NFS to/from the server is slow. It's common to see 10 knfsd processes in
D state while vmstat tells me the array works with about 4-6MB/sec
sustained throughput (where hdparm -t would give me more than 70MB/sec
on the md device).

The files read and written are commonly in the 20-60 MB range, so it's
not just because I'm loading the server with small seeks. Many files are
read multiple times within a few minutes, so the cache usage of 100MB is
completely bogus the way that I see it - but maybe there's just
something I don't know about the caching? :)

> Is the behaviour different from previous 2.4 or 2.6 kernels?

I never investigated the slabinfo on earlier 2.4. But the performance on
this server has been "under expectations" for as long as I can remember.
So, from the performance experience on this server I would say that
2.4.25 is not any worse than older kernels.

Since this is a production system I have been reluctant to jump on the
2.6 wagon - but my other experiences with 2.6.X have been good, so I'm
probably going to soften up and give it a try in a not too distant
future.

However, if this dcache/icache problem is well known and is (or at least
should be) solved in 2.6, then I can do the test this weekend.

Any enlightenment or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

/ jakob