Re: Intel vs AMD64

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 14:11:48 EST

Nakajima, Jun wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, "implementation specific" is one of the differences between IA-32e
and AMD64, i.e. that behavior is architecturally defined on AMD64, but
on IA-32e (as I posted): Near branch with 66H prefix:
As documented in PRM the behavior is implementation specific and
should avoid using 66H prefix on near branches.

In other words, Intel's implementation deviates from the architecture as defined by AMD. So it's not 100% compatible. I just want this point to be clear.

If these sorts of branches are common enough (and I suspect they are), then this sort of deviation could have a notable code-size (and L1) impact on code which is compiled to be compatible with both implementations.

Why did Intel decide to do that?