Re: 2.6.3-mm3 (ioremap failure w/ _X86_4G and _NUMA)

From: john stultz
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 21:51:51 EST

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 16:06, Andrew Morton wrote:
> john stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > When running -mm3 (plus the one-line fix to the expanded-pci-config
> > patch) to on an x440 w/ 4G enabled, the tg3 driver cannot find my
> > network card.
> >
> > When booting I get:
> > tg3.c:v2.7 (February 17, 2004)
> > tg3: Cannot map device registers, aborting.
> > tg3: probe of 0000:01:04.0 failed with error -12
> >
> > Otherwise the system seems to come up fine.
> >
> > Disabling CONFIG_ACPI (or CONFIG_X86_4G) makes the problem go away.
>
> Beats me. Maybe acpi is returning some monstrous reosurce length and we're
> running out of kernel virtual space only with the 4g split?
>
> 'twould be appreciated if you could stick a few printk's in there and work
> out what's happening please. Check out the pci space base address and
> length with and without ACPI?

The base address and length are the same either way, instead its
__ioremap that's failing at "if(!PageReserved(page))"[ioremap.c:142].

I've also narrowed down the issue to only occur w/ (CONFIG_X86_4G=y &&
CONFIG_NUMA=y) so it looks like its a propblem w/ 4G and discontigmem
together.

I've also finally moved to -mm4 and reproduced the problem there.

Martin: Any ideas?

-john