Re: 2.6.3-bk9 QA testing: firewire good, USB printing dead

From: Mike
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 16:24:02 EST

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:57:32 -0700, Daniel Robbins wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 19:10, Greg KH wrote:
>> Yes, I am. Do you get any error messages in your syslog when the
>> printer hangs?
>
> In some cases, I did. In other cases, I did not. Here are some "greatest
> hits... and I was also turning printers on and off and changing cables
> and testing different USB ports, so this first batch of log messages
> could correspond to those types of changes:
>
> Feb 27 10:52:11 [kernel] drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: off-line
> Feb 27 10:52:44 [kernel] drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -71
> reading printer status
> - Last output repeated 1140 times -
> Feb 27 10:52:45 [kernel] usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 9 Feb 27
> 10:52:45 [kernel] drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -71 reading
> printer status Feb 27 10:52:45 [kernel] drivers/usb/class/usblp.c:
> usblp0: removed
>
> Then when I was doing my initial testing with the Epson Stylus Photo 960
> and the escputil program (as well as catting printer data directly to
> the printer,) I saw a bunch of stuff like this:
>
> Feb 27 10:30:30 [kernel] usb 1-4.3: new full speed USB device using
> address 11 Feb 27 10:30:30 [kernel] ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: qh c1b91700
> (#0) state 1 Feb 27 10:30:30 [kernel] drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0:
> USB Bidirectional printer dev 11 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid
> 0x0005 Feb 27 10:31:01 [kernel] drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: on
> fire
>
> Specific symptoms were not having the printers respond to an escputil
> (Epson printer utility from gimp-print) head cleaning run. On the laser
> printer, data would get to the printer, but seemingly slowly, and I'd
> need to hit the "go" button on the printer to get the sheet to print
> rather than have the printer print on its own. It seems that both
> printers did not get the full amount of data that they were expecting,
> and either didn't respond at all or didn't complete the print job
> without manual assistance.
>
> The problems with the laser printer didn't generally produce any log
> messages. Those with the Epson (particularly escputil) generally did.
>
> With 2.6.3-bk9, I also had a block of two mainboard USB ports simply
> stop functioning -- to the point of even no longer sending power to the
> USB hub that I was using.
>
> Hope that helps and let me know if you need any more info,
>
> Daniel

FYI these problems started for me about two weeks ago. I don't know what
event started it but I am running the Gentoo distro, with 2.6.3-mm2 (it
started these probs before 2.6.3-mm2), usb 1.1 OHCI with an Epson C80.
Print jobs would hang and I had to unplug my usb cable to clear the job. I
have reinstalled everything having to do with printing and I can now at
least print but it hangs on the last page. I have to turn the printer
off/on to continue. I assumed this was a cups issue but it sounds like a
usb issue with the kernel?