PROBLEM: PS/2 Mouse Craziness with 2.6.x

From: Stephen Pearce
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 02:25:55 EST

I have had no end of problems with psmouse and my Logitech M-BJ58 PS/2 3-button optical wheel mouse under 2.6. Most recently with 2.6.2 it just wouldn't work at all, despite being detected. With 2.6.3 the mouse will go all crazy after the first boot (both in console with GPM and under X), but work fine on the 2nd or later boot. I get this common complaint when it's not working right:
"kernel: psmouse.c: Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 2 bytes away."

Here's some information on my setup:

dmesg:
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1

/proc/bus/input/devices:
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0006 Version=0000
N: Name="ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0
B: EV=7
B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "3"
EndSection

kernel config:
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768

GPM:
/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/mouse -t imps2
(/dev/mouse points to /dev/psaux)

My system is a 1 GHz PIII (Coppermine) on an Asus TUSLC-2 (i815) board running Slackware 9.1 with ACPI enabled. I've tried passing "psmouse.proto=imps" to the kernel and the behaviour is the same. I've never had any problems with this mouse under any 2.4 kernel, so I believe this to be an issue with the new PS/2 mouse support in 2.6 and not a hardware problem.

-Stephen Pearce