Re: 2.6.x: iowait problem while burning a CD

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 05:36:40 EST

Paolo Ornati wrote:
On Saturday 28 February 2004 15:52, Alex Bennee wrote:

At that point, mkisofs is probably running into a bazillion
small files, in subdirectories all over the place.

Because a disk seek + track read takes 10ms, it's simply not
possible to read more than maybe 100 of these small files a
second, so mkisofs can't keep up.

No... mkfs is reading only ONE big file ( ~ 700 MB )!

And my system shouldn't be so slow:

CPU: AMD Duron 750
RAM: 128 MB PC100
HD: 7200 RPM udma 4
File System: ResiserFS

Could this be related to your low(ish) physical memory and the need swap
stuff in and out? Maybe you could look at the vmstat output as you run
the two cases?

No... swap is never touched !

But I think to have found where the problem is:

if I only create an ISO image of 672.4 MB I must wait more then 5 minutes... this means about 2.2 MB/s !

How full is your filesystem on average? If it has been around 90% or more, you might be having trouble with fragmentation.