Re: [OT] Copyright infringement by Walmart?

From: Oliver Feiler
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 07:18:51 EST

Hello Guennadi,

On Sunday 29 February 2004 12:13, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> Don't know, if I am the first, perhaps not. But I couldn't resist. Just
> found in today's junk-mail pack an advertisement by Walmart-Germany of
> "Linux Vollwaschmittel" - a washing powder:-)) The question in the subject
> is because I am not, really, sure - maybe they did license it
> appropriately?:-) Anyway, now you know it, I am holding this paper in my
> hands, and I am going to keep it this time:-) As you know, Walmart is an
> American supermarket, if it matters. And should I say - I was amazed and
> amused!:-))

Linux washing powder has been around for some time if I remember correctly,
never used it though. ;)

Afaik, the name is ok, because the trademark Linux does not apply here. At
least in Germany it is registered in the category "computer'n'stuff"
(someting like that afaik) so selling Linux washing powder should be
perfectly fine, no roalties having to to be paid. But then IANAL and at least
I thought this was how it works. Feel free to correct me if I was wrong as
I'd be interested in it myself.

Bye,
Oliver

--