Re: 2.6.4-rc1-mm1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 20:46:35 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

One point I would make is that if a workload is only achieving 5% CPU
anyway, we shouldn't optimise for it. Sure, it's nice to be able to get it
up to 7% but it is much more important to get the 50% CPU workload up to
70%. The 5% problem is a fiscal one, not an engineering one ;)

I agree. I'm much more interested in getting light and medium swapping
working better.

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I must add that I found Nikita's
patch to definitely help light and medium swapping kbuild runs.
The fact that it *really* helped heavy swapping is a bonus.

But I agree that we need more meaningful tests too. Maybe things
like overloading apache or a mail or database server might be
interesting.