Re: Why no interrupt priorities?

From: Jesse Pollard
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 12:03:42 EST

On Sunday 29 February 2004 03:43, Michael Frank wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:53:45 -0600, Jesse Pollard <jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >> With level triggered you can just walk the chain, exit at the end of the
> >> first cycle and should the IRQ still be asserted you just incur the
> >> overhead of exit and reentry of the ISR.
> >>
> >> Even with edge, I would not check alwasy from the beginning of the
> >> chain...
> >
> > You should... after all that first entry in the chain has the highest
> > priority
>
> Please also consider that physcial IRQ's are in practice assigned "semi
> randomly".

I think that would be up to the installer.

> In a way IRQ priorities in general purpose computing applications are
> irrelevant :)

I would say that they have a priority, just that the priority isn't being
used.

> Lets say you have a bunch of devices demand service, all have to be
> serviced but is either not significant which gets done first or the
> practival IRQ priorities are "less than optimal":
>
> Keyboard IRQ1 Well buffered
> NIC1 IRQ10 Buffered
> NIC2 IRQ10 Buffered
> USB IRQ11 Buffered
> serial port IRQ3 Small FIFO (assuming '550)
> serial port IRQ4 "-"
>
> Here, serial ports would would be most critical, however the priorities of
> IRQ3 and IRQ4 are below priorities of IRQ10 and IRQ11...

I don't think these are all using "shared IRQ...". I was my understanding that
each IRQ had its own chain. And the priority of the drivers in that chain
is determined by the order.

> IMO, the best practical approach is to keep efficiency by walking the chain
> only once. If the chain is longer, it may be worthwhile to check the IRQ
> and exit walking the chain if it is inactive.

That depends entirely on the chain. If there is one or more high speed devices
such that walking the chain is faster that responding to an interrupt, then it
is DEFINITELY worth it to walk the chain.

> Priorities in chains would make sense only in specialized applications
> under controlled circumstances wrt IRQ and linking devices into chain at
> the priority desired.

No necessarily specialized applications - just ones that should/must not
loose data due to starvation. Consider the problems caused by relatively
slow devices such as a mouse. Resyncronization is a real problem, which is
one of the reasons to give it a nonshared IRQ. The same could be said of
a PPP connection over a serial line...

If they did share an interrupt, you make the PPP serial line higher priority
than the mouse... Yet you still don't want to loose mouse syncronization - so
check it anyway. Handling it is still faster than an additional interrupt,
and with less overhead.

Granted, this is more important on slower hardware or basic interactive
service, but it all contributes to overhead. Properly organized (and used)
chains will reduce the overhead.