Progress on RTL8180 Driver for Linux 2.6

From: Robbert Haarman
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 13:02:48 EST

For all who have asked about my efforts to make the RTL8180 driver work on 2.6, and others who are interested, here's an update.

I've gotten the driver to build against the 2.6 kernel. The closed source part references __generic_copy_{from,to}_user, which seem to have been replaced by __copy_{to,from}_user_ll (see arch/i386/lib/usercopy.c from the kernel sources). I have written a compatibility file that wraps the new functions inside the old names. With that, the module loads, but then causes a kernel oops due to a null pointer dereference in the initialization code.

The sources I use can be obtained from my computer; point your browser at http://hal.shire.sytes.net:5800/~inglorion/software/#rtl_8180_driver and download the tarball from there.

Happy hacking,

Robbert Haarman

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

-- H.L. Mencken