[QUESTION/PROPOSAL] udev (fwd)

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 14:28:17 EST

[PLEASE CC LKML or me because I am not subscribed to LHD!]

Greg asked for it, so here it is:

Question:

If I understand well, currently, when kernel detects new device, it
creates all important files in /sys for it, excluding device file.

So, (sorry if it was asked 100000000 times...
... but) why when kernel detects new device or module is loaded, no device
file in sysfs is created? The device files in /dev would be only links to
these in /sys.

This way we could stop care about major/minor numbers and leave it to sysfs...
And it maybe could decrease the possible races related to udev because it
would only create or remove links to files in /sys.

Programs will be able to easily find, for what device and where located in
system (buses, etc.) the device file in /dev is - with readlink.

And it should make the entire process more clear.

What You think about it?

thanks and sorry for my english

Grzegorz Kulewski