Re: kgdb support in vanilla 2.6.2

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 00:08:11 EST

On Thursday 04 Mar 2004 6:20 am, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:43:47 -0800
>
> George Anzinger <george@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > What I did for kdb and panic some time ago was to flash the keyboard
> > > lights. If you use a unique frequency (different from kdb
> > > and from panic) it works quite nicely.

Flashing keyboard lights is far simpler compared to a printk. Printk is too
heavy. Once a system is unstable, it's more important to run into kgdb code
asap. Calling printk and co may be too much.

> > Assuming a key board and a clear (no spin locks) path to it. Still it
> > only says
>
> I think it's reasonable to just write to the keyboard without any locking.
> The keyboard driver will recover.

Flashing keyboard lights is easy on x86 and x86_64 platforms. Is that easy on
ppc workstations/servers? Embedded boards don't have keyboards.

> > we are in kgdb, now why.
>
> The big advantage is that it works even when you are in X (like most
> people) printks are often not visible.

Yep.
--
Amit Kale