devfs b0rks in 2.6.2, 2.6.3

From: Joshua M. Schmidlkofer
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 00:56:42 EST

This report is in the interest of posterity, and giving people with
similar bugs a search result. I don't need a fix because udev works
100%. However, I was unable to make devfs work at all in 2.6.2, and
2.6.3. I tried a lot of things, and it seemed to be locking when
creating tty's after hotplug events. In any case, especially usb the
hotplug stuff seemed to trigger process freezes. The init process would
suddenly stop. I SysRq worked fine, but as I was in a hurry, I did not
try to do more troubleshooting. I was never able to fully boot into a
2.6.2 or 2.6.3 kernel on my box with devfs enabled.

I recovered, and removed devfs, converted my gentoo install to udev, and
have had no trouble since.

thanks,
joshua

[and thanks greg k-h et al. for making udev!!]