Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-libc-headers 2.6.3.0

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 08:29:57 EST

Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> IIRC the current agreed scheme is something along the lines of this:
>
> abi/abi-linux/* Userspace relevant parts of include/linux
> abi/abi-asm/ symlink to abi/abi-$(ARCH)
> abi/abi-i386 i386 specific userland abi
> abi/abi-ppc ppc ....

More efforts, no real effects.
I don't think we need such an infrastructure.
The normal headers should just be usable for user-space inclusion.

However I realize that the difference isn't that important, as long
as we don't duplicate the definitions etc.

> So a header file in include/linux with a counterpart in abi could look
> like this:
>
> include/linux/wait.h:
> #include <abi-linux/wait.h>
>
> #include <linux/config.h>
> typedef struct __wait_queue wait_queue_t;
>

> abi/abi-linux/wait.h:
> #define WNOHANG 0x00000001
> #define WUNTRACED 0x00000002

why not:

include/linux/wait.h:

#define WNOHANG 0x00000001
#define WUNTRACED 0x00000002

#ifdef __KERNEL__

#include <linux/config.h>

#endif /* __KERNEL__ */

> But in the end the gain from a scheme like this outweights the drawbacks
> - IMHO.

Such as? In comparison to a (fixed) present situation?
--
Krzysztof Halasa, B*FH