Re: Linux 2.6.2, AMD kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident

From: David Weinehall
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 10:05:34 EST

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:39:59PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I'm toying with the idea of marking it CONFIG_BROKEN for 2.6,
> > and fixing it up later.
>
> I would actually suggest to switch over to the rewritten MCE handler
> from x86-64 for i386 too. IMHO it is much better. It is race free,
> does not panic the machine if not needed, CPU independent, follows the
> Intel and AMD recommendations, run time sysfs configurable, logs to a
> separate device and does lots of other things much better
> [of course I'm biased on that a bit]. Disadvantage is that it isn't
> as well tested.

Well, the only way to solve that problem is to test it, right? And what
better way to test it than to switch i386 over to it too :-)

> I haven't tried it on i386, but i wrote it to be easily portable
> to 32bit too. It does periodic MCEs too, but with a much lower
> frequency and they could be turned off. I'm considering to turn
> them off for x86-64 too, because they seem to only log one bit
> ECC errors all the time. But with the new separate log device it's much
> less of a problem.
>
> The only thing you would lose is the support for P5 MCEs, but these
> could be relatively easily readded if that should be a problem.

Well, losing functionality would be bad.

> Extended register logging for P4 is also not implemented right now,
> but that hardly seems like a needed feature.

No opinion here.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@xxxxxxxxxx> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //