Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 021 release

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 13:53:09 EST

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:37:05AM +0100, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:09:57PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> >I've released the 021 version of udev. It can be found at:
> > kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-021.tar.gz
>
> Nice work, but I ran into a problem on my Debian system and i did use
> the udev-019 permissions file for Debian. What's the story here anyway?

Debian has a "official" package. I recommend you use that if you have a
Debian system.

> I seem to be unable to assign group "cdrom" to my ATAPI DVD/CD-RW drive.
> It appears to me that the permissions syntax is missing a possibility to
> overide the owner/group based upon the class of the device.

Permissions are based on the name of the device.

> Is there a way to distinguish between CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and writers? It is
> not unusual these days to have at least a DVD-ROM and CD-Writer in a
> desktop system. If you look at the latest offers from Dell you will see
> that they tend to include a DVD-ROM and a DVD+RW drive in at least some
> configurations. So it would be nice if udev would be able to create
> links like "cdwriter", "dvd" and "dvdwriter" out of the box. (And assign
> the appropriate group to the device nodes...)

You can do that, just name them differently based on the type of device.
Also, try providing a symlink to "cdrom" to not break what users are
expecting.

thanks,

greg k-h