Hyper-threaded pickle

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 23:54:11 EST

So,

Just now getting my dual athlon going under 2.6.x. It _really_ doesn't like ACPI.

ACPI specifications dictate some hardware characteristics, as well as specifying table structures and such. One of those characteristics is the 4-second poweroff: if you hold down the power button for 4-5 seconds, your motherboard is required to poweroff the machine. This is supposed to be a hard poweroff, and on most machines this works even when various pieces of hardware are frozen/locked-up.

Turning on ACPI kills my 4-second poweroff, which is pretty darn impressive. So I proceed to disable ACPI... but CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT doesn't want to disable. I am trying to restore my working, non-ACPI configuration under 2.6, but this seems to be preventing me from doing so:

drivers/acpi/Kconfig:
config ACPI_BOOT
bool
depends on ACPI || X86_HT
default y

arch/i386/Kconfig:
config X86_HT
bool
depends on SMP && !(X86_VISWS || X86_VOYAGER)
default y

My dual athlon _definitely_ doesn't have hyperthreading, and I am willing to bet that force-enabling the ACPI boot and HT code for all SMP machines breaks other older-SMP boxes as well.

Jeff