Re: serial driver / tty issues

From: Russell King
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 04:43:02 EST

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:18:56PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> - most/all serial drivers, when the flip buffer is full, will
> call tty->flip.work.func() directly with the spinlock held. This is
> asking for trouble. I have reproduceable cases where that cause the
> tty layer to try to echo, thus calling back the serial_core
> uart_put_char() which will try to ... take the spinlock. Dead.

Yep - I think we need to drop the spinlock, but by dropping it we need
to check that stuff is still sane after re-acquiring it.

> - what about the call to tty_flip_buffer_push() done by all
> drivers with the lock held too ? It's fine as long as we don't
> have this low_latency thing set. I suppose nothing but the driver
> itself will set it but I got a bit lost in the serial_core, can
> you just confirm that is ok ?

Again, we should drop the spinlock and re-acquire it afterwards.

> - I had a couple of times a crash in n_tty_receive_buf() called
> from keventd (from ldisc flip workqueue), apparently racing with
> a close of the port. The scenario is that the close happens, i
> get out of my driver back to serial core which goes back to
> tty_release afaik. At that point (I'm not sure exactly when, maybe
> in the flush of the pending work queues that is done there, maybe
> just on the other CPU), the pending work queue is triggered since
> our input buffer is still full of crap.
> It reliably oopses trying to derefence 0 (writing a byte, it's not
> a memcpy, without a spinlocked region, I haven't spotted exactly
> where in n_tty_receive_buf(), this function is shit to disassemble
> as it seems to get a ton of things inlined).

Well, there does seem to be a race in there in the tty layer. We
appear to close down the ldisc, and fiddle about with some other
things, and eventually cancel the work queue.

The n_tty close method frees the tty->read_buf, and n_tty_receive_buf()
references said buffer. If the timing is right, *boom*.

We should cancel the work queue earlier, so we can guarantee that we
won't call the ldisc functions after we've closed them down.

I guess the TTY layer still needs a complete top to bottom overhaul...

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/