Re: server migration

From: Michael Frank
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 07:24:08 EST

> On Friday 05 March 2004 20:13, Lawrence Walton wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I tried about four months ago to migrate a busy server to 2.6.0-test9,
> > and failed miserably. Lightly loaded it worked well but as the number
> > of users increased, the number of processes in uninterruptible sleep
> > increased to the hundreds and then the server fell on it's face. I
> > never found out exactly why or what processes where hanging if I
> > guessed it would be openldap.

-Test9 was the "oddest" kernel I ever ran (since 2.2.x) - even got it
repeatably to hardlock lock by loading it a bit with dd ;)

Since then, Nick Pigin has put a hell of an effort into the
anticipatory scheduler and much else all over has been refined too.

I have done a bit of stress testing of io, network and cpu and
IMO, 2.6.3 will perform nicely in a server environment and there
will be no significant problems.

Input from production use is essential though and it would be much
appreciated if you would go for it :)

Regards
Michael