Re: External kernel modules, second try

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 09:03:50 EST

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 14:46, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> Hello Arjan,
>
> On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 14:03, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > >
> > > Could you explain what is the actually gain of using the
> > > modversions file your patch creates. (modpost changes)
> >
> > distributions don't like to install the vmlinux since it's big(ish) and
> > means customers need to download a new vmlinux at each kernel erratum.
> > The same information is btw also present in System.map so imo the real
> > solution is to make modpost use System.map instead ;)
>
> System.map doesn't have the hashes,

are you sure ? I could have sworn it had.

> and it's missing the symbols from
> module files.

sure but the module files are generally installed...

> Now it would be possible to extract the modver symbols from the
> installed vmlinux and .ko files when needed, but note that we may be
> building modules for kernels that are not currently running, and for
> which those binaries are not even installed. So this sounds like a bad
> idea.

I don't personally care about those; you need SOME stuff to build
against obviously, and vmlinux is well over the top I agree that. But
assuming the .ko's for the modules are there...you need those to use the
kernel anyway.