Re: kgdb for mainline kernel: core-lite [patch 1/3]

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 06:22:58 EST

On Monday 08 Mar 2004 4:37 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Amit S. Kale" <amitkale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > argh, disaster. I discussed this with Tom a week or so ago when it
> > > looked like this it was being chopped out and I recall being told that
> > > the discussion was referring to something else.
> > >
> > > Ho-hum, sorry. Can we please put this back in?
> >
> > Err., well this is one of the particularly dirty parts of kgdb. That's
> > why it's been kept away. It takes care of correct thread backtraces in
> > some rare cases.
>
> Let me just make sure we're taking about the same thing here. Are you
> saying that with kgdb-lite, `info threads' is completely missing, or does
> it just not work correctly with threads (as opposed to heavyweight
> processes)?

info threads shows a list of threads. Heavy/light weight processes doesn't
matter. Thread frame shown is incorrect.

I looked at i386 dependent code again. Following code in it is incorrect. I
never noticed it because this code is rarely used in full version of kgdb:

+void sleeping_thread_to_gdb_regs(unsigned long *gdb_regs, struct task_struct
*p)
+ gdb_regs[_EBP] = *(int *)p->thread.esp;

We can't guss ebp this way. This line should be removed.

+ gdb_regs[_DS] = __KERNEL_DS;
+ gdb_regs[_ES] = __KERNEL_DS;
+ gdb_regs[_PS] = 0;
+ gdb_regs[_CS] = __KERNEL_CS;
+ gdb_regs[_PC] = p->thread.eip;
+ gdb_regs[_ESP] = p->thread.esp;

This should be gdb_regs[_ESP] = &p->thread.esp

> > If you consider it an absolutely must, we can do something so that the
> > dirty part is kept away and info threads almost always works.
>
> Yes, I'd consider `info threads' support a must-have. I'm rather surprised
> that others do not?

Present threads support code changes calling convention of do_IRQ. Most
believe that to be an absolute no.

Since you consider it a must-have, I'll check whether above changes suggested
by me make info threads listing correct in most cases.

-Amit