Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 021 release

From: rihad
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 05:17:07 EST

Greg KH wrote:

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:14:33 -0800
From: Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>

Users need to learn that the kernel is changing models from one which
automatically loaded modules when userspace tried to access the device,
to one where the proper modules are loaded when the hardware is found.

Does this mean that I will have modules for all my hardware hanging around even if I'm not, say, using cdrom at the moment?

Yup, why not?

I suspect there's nothing wrong with that under many common scenarios (apart from the one thing I seem to dislike so much that if a cdrom isn't being used, no driver for it should be loaded). But it does impose certain amount of strict policy that Unix (and Linux more so) has long been doing a great job of avoiding.

And does it mean that if I rmmod -a the unused cdrom module and later
try to mount /cdrom, the correct module won't be magically insmod'ed?

If you don't have the /dev entry there, how would anything know to load
the module?

Does the devfs/udev /dev entry get removed when doing rmmod? I though not. But since the module isn't there anymore, doing mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom would give "No such device". Not a problem per se, but then probably rmmod -a isn't as a wise thing to do with udev as it is with devfs. Bad.