auto mount disk!

From: Jinu M.
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 09:40:13 EST

Hi All,

I have question about auto mounting of block devices.

I have a Red Hat 7.3 running 2.4.18-3 kernel. I have X Windows installed. When I am in GNOME and I open the CD tray and insert a CD the CD is auto mounted and a disk icon appears on the desktop. But when I am in KDE and I insert a CD I find that the CD is NOT automatically mounted.

Now then my question here is does the driver need to support some signaling mechanism to indicate to the upper layers (file system) that a disk is inserted. Is auto mounting a feature that block device driver should be aware off. Any pointer on this with respect to the driver side will be more than helpful.

Thanks in advance!
-Jinu