Re: Hyper-threaded pickle

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 15:15:01 EST

Len Brown wrote:
Re: old systems -- we use dmi_scan to disable ACPI on systems by default
on systems older than 1/1/2001.

What happens for the no-DMI case?

When DMI is not present, dmi_scan is a no-op -- so ACPI will run in
whatever default the system is set to -- eg. "off" for FC1, and "on" for
FC2-test1.

We've found in practice that dmi_scan has been pretty effective at
identifying the set of systems new enough to have an ACPI enabled BIOS
but old enough that the ACPI implementation is hopeless. Though we've
had many reports of 1/1/2001 being a bit *too* conservative -- disabling
ACPI on systems where ACPI works fine. Indeed, there is a bugzilla
requesting a "white-list" to enable exceptions to this date. I'm not
enthusiastic about that plan, however. I figure there are more 3-year
old boxes that have been running Linux w/o ACPI than there are those
which have; and I'd rather spend my ergs on the current and upcoming
boxes where vendors are more willing to update a broken BIOS...

Even though I have some boxes which are hurt by this, I have to agree, although I wouldn't be unhappy if there were a few more options to enable just parts of ACPI. There are more important things, however, and since I can live with ACPI=force or no acpi at all it's an annoyance rather than an issue.

I have a few machines which are never going to 2.6 because their ACPI is totally broken and 2.6 APC no longer functions to turn the machine off. Since I expect 2.4 to be viable longer than the machines, I have no issues with that, either. If I don't have time to look at it why should I ask anyone else?