Re: objrmap-core-1 (rmap removal for file mappings to avoid 4:4 in <=16G machines)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 15:28:39 EST

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:57:52PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> 'enterprise quality'. My main worry is that we are now at a dozen emails
> regarding this topic and you still dont seem to be aware of the severity
> of this quality of implementation problem.)

the quality of such objrmap patch is still better than rmap. The DoS
thing is doable with vmtruncate too in any kernel out there.

merging objrmap is the first step. Any other effort happens on top of
it.

I never said this was finished with objrmap, I said since the first
place that it was the building block.

> way. This stuff must not be added (to mainline) until it can take the
> load.

mainline is worthless without objrmap even if you don't run into swap,
at least with objrmap it works unless you push the machine into swap.