Re: performance better in 2.6.1 than in 2.6.3

From: Pedro Larroy
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 16:01:56 EST

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:29:22PM +0000, Ludootje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Linux 2.6.1 (vanilla, no patches applied). I've never used
> 2.6.2, but I did compile 2.6.3 (vanilla too) a few weeks ago, and I used that
> for a while.
>
> When I use KDE and start some 'heavy' applications with 2.6.3, I have
> performance problems. Example: amaroK is playing music in KDE, I start
> up Firebird or Evolution, and the music 'skips' a bit. It doesn't stop playing,
> it just skips some bits. When the app is loaded, all is fine again.
> I don't have this behaviour in 2.6.1, so I'm using that again ATM.
>
> I used the same configuration each time (attached is my /proc/config.gz).
> I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.
>
> I don't know how I can 'show' the problem, as I don't think the load average
> is useful for this problem, so I'm not including it. I really have no idea what
> can be useful, so please tell me what stuff I should add (if any).
>
> I'm sorry if this a known problem, but I don't remember seeing something like
> this on the list.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludootje

Maybe you want to try a little IO latency measurement program to see if the
skips are beeing caused by disk/ioscheduling delays, it's in:

http://pedro.larroy.com/devel/iolat/

Here: http://pedro.larroy.com/devel/iolat/analisys/
are some measures from an ide disk in a AMD-768 chipset and a scsi
cheetah 10K on an AIC-7892A U160/m.

I'm still working to find why those delays in the ide disk.

Regards.

--
Pedro Larroy Tovar | Linux & Network consultant | piotr%member.fsf.org
Software patents are a threat to innovation in Europe please check: