Re: A Layered Kernel: Proposal

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 18:26:18 EST

Grigor Gatchev wrote:

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
Is my description of Linux's device model accurate? Sure. Is it
useful in terms of telling us what we ought to do in order to improve
our architecture? Not really. It's just a buzzword-compliant,
high-level description which is great for getting great grades from
clueless C.S. professors that are more in love with theory than
practice. But that's about all it's good for.

You mean that, for example, drawing house elements on paper, and tossing
some numbers here and back is useless in deciding how to build a house,
and only getting hands to the real bricks gives you whether this wall
should be here, and whether that column is thick enough to survive through
a quake?

You are saying you should build a house with walls. They're asking for a schematic (function prototypes), not to build the house yourself (not to code it all yourself).

Oh yeah and what Timothy Miller said! :-D

Mike